- I rarely measure seasonings. Back in the day when we had cable, I would watch Rachel Ray (sometimes on mute) and marvel at how she never measured. She would just pour it into her hand and eyeball it. I want to be a cook like that. When the seasoning is spicy, I will measure. I've been burned before!
- When using dry spices, I don't feel the need to clean my measuring spoons. Sometimes I just wipe them clean with a paper towel. I'm lazy.
- I hate onions. I'm getting better with this. I will eat onions if they are completely softened. If I don't think they'll have enough time to soften up then I'll use onion powder.
- Cumin is my arch enemy. I gave cumin numerous tries, and it just tastes really strong to me. I can't figure out if my cumin is just terrible, or that I'm extremely aversive to it. But, I'm going to try it again. I got cumin from Penzey spices as a gift, hopefully I'll just love it!
- I make a smoothie every morning. I've gotten this down to an art and can make it in around 3 minutes. (6 frozen strawberries + 1 banana + 1/2 c plain yogurt + 1/2 c 100% apple juice + 1 cup of pineapple)
- I'm not good at baking, because it requires precision & accuracy. See #1 why this is a problem for me. I am great at making muffins.
- I'm reckless in the kitchen. Recipe calls for thyme, I don't have it, I use rosemary. The recipe calls for Swiss, I don't have any, I use Mozzarella. I just substitute on a whim. Generally this turns out okay!
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Here's a sneak peak into my secret life in the kitchen....